CMG/CP committees are the way we interact and work with the company on important issues when we are not bargaining. The Branch Executive Council selects members from across the country who have volunteered to contribute their time and energy to these vital committees.
What follows is a brief explainer about the various committees and their current Guild representatives on each committee. Feel free to talk to the reps about any concerns or questions you might have or to let them know you would be interested in serving on a committee.
• Employee-Employer: A forum for Guild leaders and senior managers to discuss big picture issues like the company’s future direction and proposed major changes. Guild reps: Terry Pedwell, Branch President; Roger Ward, Branch VP; Steve Mertl, Branch Secretary-Treasurer; Scott Edmonds, CMG VP and CMG staff rep Kathy Viner. This group is be supplemented by others depending on the topic.
• Training: This beefed-up committee helps ensure staff across the country are adequately trained in accordance with company objectives. Guild members are: John Cotter (co-chair), Pierre St. Arnaud, Fareed Mohammed, Jennifer Graham, Catherine Benzie, Lee-Anne Goodman.
• Health and safety: Ensures compliance with federal statutes and deals with a wide array of health-related issues such as ergonomics. Guild reps: Sylvia Strojek, Jane Taguicana and LuAnne LaSalle.
• Pension: Trustees administer our all-important pension plan. Guild Trustees: Craig Wong and Scott Edmonds.
• Benefits: Has under its purview all health benefits such as dental and medical coverage. Guild reps: Sylvia Strojek, Kim Weir and Bruce Cheadle.
• Diversity (previously called Employment Equity): Examines ways to expand the diversity of The Canadian Press workforce and eliminate barriers that exist in the company for women, for visible minorities, people with disabilities and aboriginal people. Guild reps: Lorrayne Anthony, Thuy Anh Nguyen and Frank Gunn.