Canadian Media Guild (CMG) members and our loved ones are eligible to apply for CWA Canada Memorial Scholarships, geared towards those enrolled in (or about to enrol in) full-time post-secondary education or training.
Two scholarship awards of $1,000 each have been created by CWA Canada to honour the work and lives of John Belcarz and Dan Zeidler, two people who made substantial contributions to our union and to union members.
Applicants must include an essay of up to 1,000 words or a video, audio or multi-media presentation up to five minutes in length on one of the following topics:
• Why I believe the Labour movement is important to Canadians in this day and age.
• What social justice means to me and how we can achieve it.
1. The John Belcarz | Dan Zeidler Memorial Scholarships are open to members of the Canadian Media Guild and CWA Canada, their children, grand-children, nieces or nephews, spouse / partner.
2. Applicants must be enrolled or about to enter a full-time program at a government-recognized institution of higher learning or training (college, CEGEP, university or technical/vocational institute) and working towards a degree, diploma or certificate.
3. There are no restrictions on the program of study or discipline selected by the applicants.
4. Applicants must be prepared to accept the scholarship in the year in which it is awarded; no deferrals are allowed.
5. There is no limit to the number or value of other awards that scholarship winners may hold. But individuals are limited to receiving one CWA Canada scholarship during any given academic year.
Please submit your application by Friday, March 16, 2018
For any additional information, please contact CWA Canada by email ( email@example.com ) or call 613-820-9777 (Ottawa) or 1-877-486-4292 (toll-free).
President, Canadian Media Guild
The Canadian Media Guild is a union Local comprised of over 5000 media workers at AFP, APTN, The Canadian Press, CBC/Radio-Canada, Corus, PMNA, Thomson Reuters, TFO, TVO, Vice Media, and ZoomerMedia, as well as other media organizations.
CMG members are also members of CWA Canada. We are linked to the wider labour movement through CWA Canada and our international union, the Communications Workers of America (CWA).