But first, we are looking for two of our co-workers who will join our Branch president and the CMG staff rep to form our negotiating team.
Here’s what you need to know about this important role:
– bargaining with management is expected to start soon.
– if you are selected to be part of the bargaining team, you will be granted the required time off from work, and any expenses will be paid by the union.
– no experience is needed; the most important thing is to have a commitment to your co-workers and the ability to think strategically. It’s also important to be collaborative.
– being part of the bargaining committee is a valuable experience: It gives you a chance to help improve working conditions for yourself and your colleagues at ZoomerMedia, while also gaining some important skills through the negotiation process.
– participating on the committee requires full days, typically two or more days at a time. Time commitment will vary based on various factors, including the issues being negotiated. In the past, it’s taken three to four days of negotiations to reach a deal with the employer. Add to that one or two days for the team to prepare before bargaining starts, and one day after the end of bargaining to work on next steps, including communications to members and updating the collective agreement.
–due to the pandemic, negotiations will probably take place via teleconference, which may affect the process in unexpected ways.
We want our committee to be as representative of our workplace as possible. If you are not selected, you will be able to be part of a bargaining support group helping to mobilize and share information with our fellow union members in the workplace. You will also be on the list to replace any member of the negotiating team who is unable to be at the bargaining table.
If you are interested in joining the committee, please write to email@example.com later than September 7. If we get more than two names, we will hold an election.