The Canadian Media Guild, Local 30213 of CWA-Canada, is a democratic trade union that represents over 5000 members across Canada, including employees at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation/ Société Radio-Canada, The Canadian Press and Pagemasters North America, Thomson Reuters, the Aboriginal Peoples Television Network (APTN), TVO, TFO, VICE, ZoomerMedia, AFP, CKOF, and Freelance media workers.
The Canadian Media Guild (CMG) is seeking a Union Staff Representative for a permanent position in Toronto.
The position is responsible for working with union members to administer and enforce collective agreements, lead bargaining, negotiate with management and work to increase participation in the union.
Major duties include:
– Support and service members
– Analyze, interpret, and enforce collective agreements
– Handle grievances, negotiate with management, bargain collective agreements
– Chair joint labour-management meetings
– Develop member training and other education as required
– Adept at online, digital archiving and all required administrative tasks
– A demonstrated record of work over several years as a union staff rep in a serving position
– Demonstrated leadership skills, including interpersonal skills, and an ability to encourage member participation
– A demonstrated record of negotiating and bargaining skills
– Must have deep knowledge of the Canada Labour Code and HR processes, and a legal background is an asset
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
– Competency using computer software tools
– Willingness to attend work in the office and travel as needed
– French language proficiency is an asset
– Knowledge of the Canadian media industry is an asset
– Experience handling Long-term Disability files within a unionized environment is an asset
Wages and benefits are set according to the provisions of the CMG / CUPE 1281 Employees Union collective agreement (available online).
Salary ranges from approximately $89,345 to $101,170 with additional pay in lieu of pension and benefits. Additional pay for French language proficiency.
CMG welcomes and encourages applications from members of equity seeking groups.